Basement flooding can bring multiple problems to property owners, which is why it is important to take action to lessen the damage before the professionals arrive. Use these tips the next time your basement floods.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR BASEMENT FLOODS
- Contact your local water department. Check your home's sewer condition to better understand the structure of your sanitation drain and pipeline.
- Keep your safety in mind. Before entering a flooded basement, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the water contaminated?
- Is the basement structurally safe?
- Is there a sign of a gas leak?
- Is there a risk of electrical shock?
- Clean up. After ensuring that it is safe to enter the basement, wear proper protective equipment such as boots, gloves and eye protection, carefully shielding your skin from coming in contact with the water. Keep children and pets away from the flooded area. Be careful not to contaminate the other parts of your home when you leave the basement. Mop up excess water and disinfect all surfaces that have come in contact with the floodwater. Document contaminated items for insurance purposes before disposing of them. If building materials have been damaged, they have to be removed within 24 hours to prevent the growth of mold. It is best to call a professional like Armstrong during this critical time for a comprehensive clean and to avoid further problems that may be caused by improper cleanup.
- Contact your insurance company. Review your policy to know your coverage and call your insurance provider right away. Document all damages and keep all receipts for restoration and repairs.
- Install a waterproofing system. To prevent basement floods from occurring in the future, consider investing in an interior drainage system and waterproofing system.
How to Prevent Basement Flooding
- Regularly check your basement for cracks or weak spots.
- Inspect your pipes and sewer lines for breaks, clogs and root intrusions.
- Grade your landscape in such a way that it directs water away from your foundation.
- Extend your downspouts for at least five feet away from your home's foundation.
- Contact a professional for restoration, repairs and waterproofing.
Call Armstrong Water Mold Cleanup & Restorations Today
All workmanship is 100% guaranteed. Call Armstrong Water Mold Cleanup & Restorations at (239) 531-2000 or contact us online. We are located in 1230 Hemingway Dr., Fort Myers, FL 33912. We offer a FREE inspection and estimate and respond in 2 hours or less.