When your child isn’t acting like his or her typical self, it can be worrying. You might be wondering if he or she is just going through a phase or if there may be something more serious going on. It’s normal to worry when your child isn’t acting the same way they normally do, so there are some things you need to know about seeking professional help for your child.
Childrens Psychologist Adelaide is an expert who diagnoses and treats mental disorders in children and teens using medication, therapy techniques and other treatments as needed. Please note that not all psychiatrists will diagnose mental illnesses in kids; only those who specialize in child psychiatry can do so.
Does your child need a child psychiatrist?
If you have concerns about your child's behavior, or if he or she has been diagnosed with a mental disorder, it is important to seek help from a child psychiatrist. Child psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders in children and adolescents. They are trained to provide care for children of all ages and can also work with their families.
What to expect from a child psychiatrist appointment
Expect to spend two hours with a child psychiatrist. The first 30 minutes are spent getting to know you, your child, and his or her symptoms. The second 30 minutes are spent going over the results of your child’s evaluation.
During this appointment:
- You will fill out a questionnaire about your child’s mental health and behavior history.
- The psychiatrist will talk about the different diagnoses that may apply to your child based on their answers from the questionnaire and their behavior at home, school, etc., as well as any symptoms that may be present in other areas of life like bullying or being bullied.
- A discussion about what treatments can help address these issues will also occur if necessary
What are qualified child psychiatrist credentials?
If you need a child psychiatrist, your best bet is to work with one who has the proper credentials. A qualified child psychiatrist is a physician who has completed medical school and residency requirements, as well as at least two years of additional training. This will ensure that they have the skills to diagnose mental disorders and treat them using medication and psychotherapy techniques.
Treatment options and plans for children with mental disorders
Treatment options and plans for children with mental disorders are highly variable, depending on the child's needs. All treatments have some risks, even if those risks are small. Sometimes, treatment can be harmful or not effective at all; in these cases it may be better to explore other options. A psychiatrist should have a good understanding of all the available treatments so that he or she can make recommendations that are best for your child's unique condition.
How to determine if a child needs medication?
There are a number of things to consider when determining whether a child needs medication. These include:
- The severity of the disorder
- How old the child is
- A medical history of family members who have been diagnosed with mental health disorders or substance abuse problems
- Any personality or behavioral issues that may be exacerbated by certain medications, such as impulse control issues or an inability to tolerate side effects (such as drowsiness)
What to do when your child is in an emergency situation
When your child is in an emergency situation, the first thing you should do is call 911. Then, remain with your child until help arrives.
- Do not try to calm your child down. This can make things worse, as they may become more upset by the situation.
- Do not restrain or physically hold them because this may cause injuries or further harm.
- Do not give your child anything to eat or drink as this could lead to choking on vomit and/or cause dehydration (low levels of fluids in the body).
- Don’t try moving them unless absolutely necessary because it could result in broken bones if they fall while being moved by someone else (e.g., a parent) who doesn’t know how exactly how fragile their bodies are at this moment due to their sicknesses being caused by mental illness rather than physical illness like most people experience every day when getting sick from colds/flu etcetera).
If your child has a mental disorder, it’s important to know where to turn. Childrens Psychologist Adelaide are specially trained in the care of children with mental disorders, and they will evaluate each child individually to determine the best treatment plan. Your child psychiatrist may recommend medication or therapy but will also make sure that you understand all other options available so you can make an informed decision about which course of action is right for your family.
Source: Important Facts to Know Before Hiring a Child Psychiatrist