How to use Microsoft 365 on Server RDS
If you want to run Microsoft 365 on the Server Remote Desktop Services , the Microsoft 365 only compatiable with Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2019, and Windows Server 2022. But, you have to use the Office Deployment Tool and enable shared computer activation to do the installation.
The following are two common RDS scenarios:
1. Install Microsoft 365 Apps on an RDS server.
2. Install Microsoft 365 Apps on a shared virtual machine.
Install Microsoft 365 on an RDS server
If you install Microsoft 365 Apps on a computer configured as a Remote Desktop Session Host server. This enables multiple users to connect remotely to this computer. The users can each run Office programs, such as Word or Excel, at the same time. The overall process is the same for the Project and Visio desktop apps.
1. Install and configure Windows Server.
2. Install and configure the Remote Desktop Session Host role service.
3. Use the Office Customization Tool to create a configuration file on https://config.office.com/deploymentsettings. Make sure to tick the Shared Computer box in the Licensing and activation section. Export the resulting configuration file and save it to the same location as the extracted Office Deployment Tool.
4. Use the Office Deployment Tool and the configuration file to install Microsoft 365 Apps on the RD Session Host server.
At this point, users can connect to the RD Session Host server and use Microsoft 365 Apps. Users can connect to the server by using Remote Desktop Connection, which is available in Windows, or by using other Remote Desktop clients.
Install Microsoft 365 Apps on a shared virtual machine
If you install Microsoft 365 Apps as part of a client operating system image, such as one running Windows 10. Then, you use RDS and Hyper-V to create a group of virtual machines based on that image. These virtual machines can be shared by multiple users. In RDS, this is known as either a virtual desktop pool or a pooled virtual desktop collection, depending on which version of RDS that you're using.
Here are the basic steps of how to configure RDS to deploy Microsoft 365 Apps on a shared virtual machine:
1. Create the operating system image:
Follow the instructions to Deploy Microsoft 365 Apps as part of an operating system image. In Step 2 of the instructions, make sure that your configuration.xml file also includes the following line to enable shared computer activation:
<Property Name="SharedComputerLicensing" Value="1" />
2. Install and configure Windows Server.
3. Install and configure RDS.
After you've completed all the RDS configuration steps, users can connect to any of the virtual machines and run Microsoft 365 Apps.