logo
logo

Blighty's EU science funding will remain unchanged until new PM triggers Article 50

avatar
James Woodson
Jul 01, 2016 13:32
img

Science research funding from the European Union to the UK is set to continue until Britain officially terminates its membership of the bloc by triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.

The referendum split the nation in half; the leave campaign narrowly won the plebiscite with 51.9 per cent of the vote, leaving 48.1 per cent of voters disappointed.

Scientists in the UK were mostly for remain, with top figures including Stephen Hawking, Martin Rees and Sir Paul Nurse stressing the benefits that the science community will receive by remaining in the EU.

A big chunk of EU research funding comes from Horizon 2020, the biggest and most ambitious European funding programme that has pledged almost €80bn over seven years.

Yet, until the UK officially leaves by triggering Article 50, a formal resignation from the EU which takes effect after two years, it remains a member.

Michael Thame, managing editor of Pan European Networks, an independent publishing company that works closely with Horizon 2020 to produce information about its projects, said that until then the funding status of the UK remains unchanged.

collect
0
avatar
James Woodson
Jul 01, 2016 13:32
guide
Zupyak is a free content platform for publishing and discovering stories, software and startups.