Many patients have heard the term mercury toxicity associated with fillings but still have many questions about it: what is it, am I affected by it, and what can be done to remediate it?
Fillings are made of a substance called dental amalgam.
This is a mixture of metals, consisting primarily of mercury.
Mercury amalgam has been used as a dental filling material around the world since ancient times and in the United States for nearly 200 years.Mercury toxicity, also called mercury poisoning, is caused by a high level of mercury in the body.
The presence of mercury has been shown to cause wide range of chronic and acute health problems affecting all major systems in the body; neurological, gastrointestinal, immune, and cardiovascular problems have been attributed to mercury toxicity, as has damage to major organs such as the liver, kidneys,and,lungs.
The Center for Systemic Dentistry will work with you to determine the best course of treatment to safely remove your existing mercury amalgam.