Memory is the storage space in the computer where data get the process and instructions needed for processing get store. The memory is divided into a huge number of small parts known as cells. Every location or cell has a unique address which differs from zero to memory size minus one.
Read More : Basic Computer Knowledge
Memory is of three types
- Cache Memory
- Primary Memory
- Secondary Memory
Cache memory is a very high-speed semiconductor memory that can speed up CPU. It operates as a buffer between the CPU and main memory.
Primary Memory (Main Memory)
- Primary memory holds only those data and instructions on which computer is presently working.
- It has limited capacity and data is vanished when power is switched off.
- It is normally made up of the semiconductor device.
- The data and instruction needed being processed reside in main memory.
There are two sub-categories in Primary memory, ROM and RAM.
The RAM is the place in a computer where the operating system, application programs, and data in current use are kept.
RAM is much quick to read from and write to than the other types of storage in a computer, the hard disk, floppy disk, and CD-ROM.
It has two parts:
- SRAM: Static Random Access Memory
- DRAM: Dynamic Random Access Memory.
As the name recommend ROM, stores information that can only be read. Modifying it is impossible or very challenging.
ROM is also a kind of non-volatile storage, which means that the instructions in it stays even if the computer give up power.
This is another type of ROM that is impossible or challenging to change.
- PROM – Programmable Read Only Memory.
- EPROM – Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory.
- EEPROM – Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory.
Important Computer Knowledge – Development of computer
- Abacus is known as the first mechanical calculating device.
- Which was used to be performed addition and subtraction easily and speedily.
- Abacus is made up of the wooden frame in which rod where fitted beyond with rounds beads sliding on the rod.
- In the year 1642, Blaise Pascal a French scientist invented the adding machine called Pascal’s calculator which show the situation of the digit with the help of gears in it.
- It is known as Analytical engine and the first mechanical computer.
- It consist of such feature which we utilize in today’s computer language.
If you want to learn more about Computer Memory Storage then Computer Courses in Chandigarh is the right place for you.