Setting up an offshore development center has its own challenges and risks in terms of management, communication, culture, legal compliance, government policies, and cybersecurity.
Businesses can avoid these challenges by gaining information on the country chosen for ODC and thorough vetting of the offshore development companies.
Recommended read: Offshore Software Development: The Complete Guide (in 2023)
1. Leadership Team
One must interact with the leadership team before selecting an ODC service-providing team. Talking to the leadership will give you an assessment of:
- How well does the organization know its business? What are their strength and weaknesses?
- Do they understand your brand requirement, and can they onboard the right talent for the project?
- How good are their communication skills, and how soon can they debrief your instructions?
Communication is a non-negotiable aspect of setting up an offshore team. Good communication and the right selection of talent, and the right cultural fit ensure project success.
2. Experience, Reference and Social Proof
While shortlisting an ODC team, you must find out:
- How long have they been doing this business?
- What kind of projects have they successfully delivered in the past?
- How many industries have they served?
- Who are their clients?
- What are they saying about their business operation?
- Have they received awards and accolades in the recent past from the industry?
Finding answers to these questions would help you assess their industry and technology niche and work quality. You will be able to make an informed decision.
3. Transparent and Honest Communication
When an offer sounds too good to be true, you may want to drop it.
Developing a successful software product or solution requires-
- Time and a skilled team conducting a granular assessment
- Multiple rounds of quality assessment
- Feedback and code inspection at various stages of development
Though ODC teams are known to deliver premium quality work while meeting the deadline, anyone promising unrealistic delivery time has probably little to no idea about how software development works.