Properties that are strictly to be used for commercial or simply put, business related purpose are known as commercial properties. It is an extremely wide term which covers several estates like offices, restaurants, shopping complexes, hotels, resorts, health care facilities, etc. These are properties that are generally put to income-generating activities.
Why do people opt for commercial real estate?
Commercial estates may be a very wise investment option if you are looking for capital appreciation along with income from rent. Investing in such properties require larger capital but give higher return as well. There are various benefits of investing in such properties which are discussed below:
1. Consistent Returns
Unlike residential properties, commercial properties provide a steady flow of income even during economic slowdown. When the economy accelerates the income from such properties may also increase along with the total value of the property, increasing your capital valuation. Commercial estates can be leased for longer period of time which ensures a steady and consistent flow in income to the owner.
Just like diversifying your stock portfolio is very profitable, diversifying your asset portfolio is also considered to of utmost importance as it lowers the overall risk. It is advised to invest in commercial properties as well, as it diversifies your asset portfolio and provides consistent income through rental services. The rate of appreciation in the value of a commercial property is also considerably higher than residential properties.
3. Higher Leverage
Commercial real estates are usually bought with a mortgage or on a loan by paying a down payment. This aspect of not buying the estate in full, proves profitable to the investors and it increases their leverage. It gives better profit percentage as compared to other asset types due to this very factor.
4. Helps you build substantial equity
Equity is the amount of value that an investor builds up over a period of time. Commercial estates helps the investors to build this equity quickly, due to their nature of yielding higher and steady return rates. The rate at which the value of such properties appreciate is also quite higher than other asset types.
Investing in a Commercial Property
Investing in commercial estates can be a very stable and secure investment option. The aspect of consistent income flow makes it a stable option:
- Even when the economy down slides, these properties continue giving consistent return on your investment in terms if rent. You may directly or indirectly invest in such properties.
- Direct investment is when you buy and become the landlord yourself of a commercial Property and receive the rent at regular intervals as your return.
- The overall value of the property also keeps on appreciating along with time if you have made the right investment, at the right location.
- Indirect investment in such estates is when you invest in this domain through a third-party company or individual.
- You may invest in the companies who cater to the commercial estate market like realtors or banks.
Types of commercial properties
- Office Buildings
- Multipurpose/family rental
Investing in a commercial property can be a great investment option if you are looking for a safe investment with consistent returns. It diversifies your asset portfolio and increases your profitability ratio due to an increase in leverage. It elevates your equity and that is why investing in a commercial property is rapidly becoming investors go to investment option these days. Above stated properties are some of the major types of commercial estates that can be a safe and secure investment option for any real estate investor or individual.