There is an impending need to protect seeds and seedlings from various seed and soil-borne diseases to minimize crop losses and, thereby, fulfill the growing food demand. The growing seed and soil-borne diseases and unpredictable weather conditions have been leading to reduced crop yield. Seed coating applications protect the seeds from pests and soil-borne microorganisms in the environment. Thus, the farmers are inclined toward the seed coating application technique. Additionally, with this application technique, farmers can easily perform on-farm.
The seed treatment market is in the development phase. Increased research and development activities are underway to develop treated seeds, biological seed treatment products, and seed pelleting techniques, which are expected to increase the demand for seed treatment in farming practices.
Read Report Overview: Seed Treatment Market
The seed treatment market was valued at $7,924.6 million in 2021, which is expected to grow with a CAGR of 9.43% and reach $13,587.0 million by 2027. The growth in the global seed treatment market is expected to be driven by increasing seed and soil-borne diseases and the growing demand for treated seeds.
Impact of COVID-19 on the Seed Treatment Market
The COVID-19 pandemic has unfavorably impacted many industries across the world, including the agriculture industry, such as agrochemicals, fertilizers, and seed treatment. COVID-19 pandemic directly impacted on manufacturing and transportation activities of the seed treatment market. Due to the pandemic, the supply chain of the seed treatment market was disturbed at the global level. Various governments closed their international trade and production units due to the seed treatment market being hampered more at the global level. In the agriculture industry, the agrochemicals and seed treatment market has recorded a sharp slowdown in sales in the first quarter of 2020 due to the disruption in logistics and transportation. Simultaneously the seed treatment market has gone through disruptions in the value chain of the segment, from raw materials supply to manufacturing, packaging, and distribution. This is causing an imbalance between the demand and supply quantities on a large scale.
Seed Treatment Market (by Type)
Based on type, the seed treatment market is segmented into two major categories, chemical and non-chemical. The non-chemical seed treatment is further segmented into biological seed treatment and physical seed treatment based on types and results.
Chemical seed treatment includes insecticide, fungicide, nematicide, fertilizers, plant growth nutrients, or a combination of crop protection chemicals. In contrast, non-chemical seed treatment includes bio-insecticide, bio-fungicide, bio-nematicide, bio-stimulants, bio-fertilizers, or combination of biological crop protection solutions.
Seed Treatment Market (by Region)
The seed treatment market holds a prominent share in various countries of North America, South America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Japan, the U.K., China, and the Middle East and Africa. Presently, North America is at the forefront of the seed treatment market, with high market penetration in the countries such as the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.
Recent Developments in Global Seed Treatment Market
- In April 2022, BASF SE opened a new center for sustainable agriculture in North America. This center is expected to increase its biological seed treatment product portfolio in North America. Due to this, the company creates awareness among the farmers and increases its biological seed treatment sales in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.
- In May 2022, Bayer Vietnam launched Routine Start 280FS, a seed germination product for rice seeds. The growing rice seed-borne diseases and increasing rice cultivation create a demand for rice seed treatment products in Vietnam. Thus, Bayer Vietnam strategically launched a seed treatment product for rice crop in Vietnam.
- In February 2022, Croda International Plc partnered with Xampla, to create biodegradable and microplastic-free seed coatings technology. Due to this partnership, the company focuses on research and development activities and intends to pioneer in biodegradable and microplastic-free seed coatings technology in the global seed treatment market.
- In May 2022, Corteva Agriscience established its Centre for Seed Applied Technologies (CSAT) laboratory in Rosslyn. This helps Corteva Agriscience to increase its seed treatment business in Africa and Middle East countries.
- In May 2022, Syngenta launched the VICTRATO seed treatment product. This product protects soybeans, corn, cereals, cotton, and rice seeds from soil-borne fungal diseases.
Get Free Sample: https://bisresearch.com/requestsample?id=1400&type=download
According to Rakhi Tanwar, Principal Analyst, BIS Research, "The seed treatment market has huge potential in near future. The growing seed-borne and soil-borne diseases create a lucrative business opportunity for seed treatment manufacturers. Simultaneously farmers’ acceptance for seed treatment procedures and the rise in demand of treated seeds further drive the seed treatment market during the forecast period. The supporting government policies for treated seeds in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Argentina, and Brazil, India are further boosting the seed treatment market."