Payroll error 15242 belongs to the subset of installation errors in QuickBooks that pop up in some cases when users try to update QuickBooks desktop. This error can lead to serious ramifications as it prevents users from accessing the latest security updates rolled out by Intuit. These updates are frequently unraveled with an intention to curb emerging technical issues that keep hampering user performance. As such, resolving this error is indispensable.
This article shall cover all the aspects that will give users the confidence to fix QuickBooks payroll error 15242 and other installation errors that come in the category of QuickBooks Error 15xxx.
Brief Overview of QuickBooks Error 15242
This error is encountered during updating of QuickBooks and can be attributed to a plethora of causes of which the primary ones include damaged FCS (File Copy Service), corruption in the windows registry, incorrect service key, inactive payroll subscription, including other causes. The error message that is encountered is stated below:
“QuickBooks Error 15242: Payroll update did not finish successfully. QuickBooks FCS is damaged or unresponsive.”
What are the major causes of QuickBooks Error 15242?
Some of the mainspring factors that can incite this update error 15252 in QuickBooks are:
· File Copy Service (FCS) may be malfunctioning.
· Digital signature certificate for Intuit may be outdated or incompatible.
· Inactive payroll subscription.
· The previous update process was incomplete due to a sudden system shutdown due to a power failure.
· The connection between the server and QuickBooks may be obstructed by the antivirus or Firewall.
· Corrupted QuickBooks installation files.
· The previous installation of QuickBooks was corrupted.
Easy Solution to Fix QuickBooks Error 15242 once and For All
Follow the below given steps to rectify the error code 15242:
Fix 1: Repair QuickBooks
Another effective approach to fix the error is by repairing QuickBooks. The steps for the same are:
· Head for the Start menu and from therein, open the Control Panel.
· After that, click on QuickBooks.
· Follow up by clicking on Uninstall/Change.
· Then, hit on Repair and follow the onscreen prompts to culminate the update process successfully.
· When that is done, run QuickBooks and try to update QuickBooks through the Help tab.
Fix 2: Check the correctness of the Service key
· Click on the Employees tab.
· Thereafter, advance to My Payroll Services option.
· Hit on Manage Service Key.
· If the service key is inactive, hit on the Add option.
· After that, type in the service key received on the email.
· Hit on Ok.
· Also, check the subscription status by hitting on the F2 key and checking the Subscription status. If the status shows Inactive, then user should activate/renew the subscription to leverage the benefits of the accounting program.
· Upon performing all the steps above, make another attempt to update QuickBooks.
Fix 3: Run QuickBooks as Administrator
- Initially, hit a right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- After that choose Run as administrator option.
- Now If prompted, provide the necessary permissions to run QuickBooks with administrative privileges.
- Check if the error is resolved. If not, proceed to the next solution.
By running your QuickBooks desktop as an administrator account may help you resolve many software-related issues.
Fix 4: Clean Install QuickBooks Desktop
If none of the approaches explained till now fix QuickBooks Error 15242, then users should clean install QuickBooks.
- Open the Control Panel and advance to Programs and Features.
- Opt for QuickBooks and click on Uninstall.
· When the process is done, reinstall QuickBooks and use the product key to activate the accounting program.
· Users can also use the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool for this process.
With that, this comprehensive walkthrough on the approaches to rectify QuickBooks Error 15242 comes to an end. If you have any queries at your end, and are seeking for their timely resolution, you should get in immediate contact with our QuickBooks desktop payroll error support experts at the helpline 1-800-615-2347.