Sign in

How to safely use and handle fireworks

How to safely use and handle fireworks

Fireworks are a beautiful and wonderful sign of summer. But they can be dangerous if they are not used correctly (e.g. in your backyard). According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2018, there were 5,100 fireworks-related injury and 180 visits to the emergency room for similar injuries during July 2018. Remember that fireworks, sparklers and bottle rockets are all equally dangerous, especially for children. Children under 15 were responsible for 36% of all fireworks-related injuries in 2018. Fireworks can cause severe burns (44%), or eye injuries (19%). Hands, fingers, and the legs are the most susceptible to burning. Corneal abrasions and corneal detachment are two of the most serious eye injuries. Although these injuries can be very frightening, they can be completely avoided. Professionals should manage fireworks displays. If you have a holiday tradition, such as lighting sparklers or fireworks in your yard, these safety tips will help to avoid injury.

Please respect the laws

The Hazardous Substances Act bans the sale most dangerous fireworks. This includes cherry bombs and aerial bombs, as well as firecrackers larger than two grams in powder. Many state and local governments prohibit the sale of consumer fireworks.

Consumer fireworks can buy fireworks WolverHampton state, but not all. These include mortars, shells, multiple tubes, Roman candles and rockets. Firecrackers containing less than 50mg of powder, novelty items like snakes or ground spinners, and fire-crackers containing no more that 50mg of powder are acceptable.

Here are some tips on handling and using fireworks:

1. Keep water nearby

You can prevent any fireworks that are defective or ruined from being set on fire by soaking them in water. The Executive Director for the Institute for Childhood Preparedness, JD, MPA and EMT-Paramedic recommend having a bucket of water and an extension hose on hand in case of emergency.

2. How to light fireworks the right way

According to Doctor, lighters and matches are most common fire sources. The flame can be unpredictable and vulnerable to wind making it more difficult to control. You can keep the fireworks under control by lighting them with a punk, a.k.a a special kind of smoldering sticks. Light fireworks one at time, one person at at time.

3. Avoid any failures with fireworks

Fireworks should be considered active if in doubt. Sometimes, a firework may have a delayed response. If the firework is not dealt with immediately, it can cause serious injury. You should avoid a firework that does not explode for at least five minutes. Doctor recommends that you soak the firework in water if it does not explode after five minutes.

4. You should set off fireworks in open areas

Make sure you're not in a closed area when lighting fireworks.

5. Never relight fireworks

Same goes for "dud fireworks". Never light them again. You can soak them in water and then safely toss the rest out.

6. Don't lean on a firework when lighting it.

Use a punk to light the fuse. To ensure safety, you should not place any part or your body directly on to the fuse. Wear fitted clothes and closed-toed shoes to avoid accidental burns.

7. Supervise children using sparklers

Sparklers might seem safe enough for children to use, but they can reach temperatures up to 2,000°F and cause serious harm if not properly handled. Children under 12 years of age must be supervised to prevent injury or sparks. Children, or anyone else, should not play with or throw a lit sparkler.

8. Additional tips for sparklers as described in the American Pyrotechnics Association

* Never light more that one sparkler at a time

* Keep sparklers within arm's reach.

* You should not be more than six feet from others when the sparkler is lit.

Wear loose-fitting clothes and open-toed shoes

* Only use sparklers that you have previously used in hot water. When cool, take out the sticks.

9. Wear protective eyewear

Eye injury from fireworks is most commonly caused by heat burns, blunt force trauma, or chemical exposure. Although the potential for injury to others is greater than to the person who set off the fireworks, it is a good idea to use protective goggles as recommended by the American National Standards Institute.

10. If you're injured, get medical attention immediately

You should immediately seek medical attention if fireworks cause injury to you or someone close to you. You should not apply any pain medication or ointments to the burns while you wait for assistance.

If you have an eye injury, follow these guidelines.

* Don't rub your eyes.

Rinse your eyes.

* Do not apply pressure

* Do not try to remove any objects that have become lodged in your eyes.

If you have been instructed by a doctor, don't apply any ointments or blood-thinning medication like ibuprofen and aspirin to your skin.

Get in touch with us:-

Company:- Big Star Fireworks

Phone Number: 01902 214003

Address:- Unit 1, Marston Road



Zupyak is the world’s largest content marketing community, with over 400 000 members and 3 million articles. Explore and get your content discovered.
Read more