Madison in Wisconsin is perhaps the best-loved city in the Midwest of the US. The main appeal of this capital city is due to its scenic beauty, amazing job opportunities, and attractive options for higher education. There are also many other reasons why Madison is popular.
Madison is the city of four lakes where four different lakes surround the city and offer a great lakes-based lifestyle. These lakes include Lake Menona, Lake Mendota, Lake Waubesa, and Lake Kegonsa.
Perhaps the most popular fact about Madison is the University of Wisconsin, located in the city. Not only does it offer the best of opportunities for higher education in the country but also promotes a laid-back, party culture in the city. The university attracts students from all over the country.
- Madison is the second-most populous city in Wisconsin after Milwaukee.
- It is one of the only 2 cities in the US located on an isthmus. Each side of the city is flanked by 2 lakes.
- The city is named after the fourth president of the US, James Madison.
- The University of Wisconsin in Madison conducted the first bone marrow transplant in 1968.
- The university is also the location where the first human embryonic stem cells were developed.
- One of the best features of Madison is the extensive woodlands surrounding it. More than 46% of Wisconsin is simply forest, thanks to major efforts of conservation. Nature lovers will enjoy the abundance of forests and parks in the city.
- The city offers some of the best healthcare services in the country. It boasts of some of the best hospitals in the country.
- The city boasts of some of the most exciting nightlife thanks to the partying by students of the university.
- The University of Wisconsin is top-notch, ranking as 12th best university in the country.
- Residents of Madison have great access to water resources. There is 7000 acres of water all across the city.
- The four lakes in the city offer a plethora of water-based activities, like fishing in two thousand trout streams.
Cost of living
If one is relocating to Madison from the big US cities, one may find it a cheaper way of life. But if one is moving from a smaller city, one may find Madison more expensive. Groceries for daily life like bread and milk are a bit cheaper than the national average. Recreation options like movie tickets and gym memberships are also a bit cheaper.
However, housing in Madison is on the more expensive side. Though monthly utilities may be cheap, housing per se is costly. The cost of an apartment in the city center can be as high as $4000 per square meter.
Getting around the city
Every US city has unique modes of transport; New York has its subways, while Los Angeles has its cars. Madison strikes the right balance between on-foot options and driver-friendly options.
Hopper rides are common in this college town. Such ride-share services permit persons to carpool while playing popular tracks resulting in a never-ending party. Other popular and cheaper options for transport include taxis and metro buses. Exploring the college town is also made easy by Trolley pubs. Madison is also one of the most beautiful cities to explore by foot, thanks to its scenic beauty. There are also plenty of bike routes across the city to explore by bicycle.
Madison enjoys pleasant weather with not too hot summers and chilly winters. Winters are the best options for snow-based sports like skiing. Fall is the favorite season for all residents.
The unemployment rate in Madison is fairly minimal, with an average that is half the national average. The labor participation rate in Wisconsin is a substantial 66.5.
There are plenty of job opportunities in the city, and the major employer is the University of Wisconsin. Another major industry is the installation of solar panels. Madison is enjoying its status as a sustainable city, thanks to such green initiatives.
We hope this blog post has given you a better understanding of why so many people move to Madison, Wisconsin. This city is a great place to live, work, and play. So if you're looking to relocate to a new city, give Madison a look! We can help you find a home for any budget. And if you're interested in seeing what's available in the area, get in touch with us today at - [email protected]