Summary: We will touch upon every single possible method which can make the conversion of the NSF files into Outlook PST files. Along with them, the reasons which insist users to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook will also be discussed.
Lotus Notes used to have a monopoly in the email client niche, but as the technology keeps changing, the requirement for the users also changes. It uses NSF files responsible for saving every user's information/data locally. If we concentrate on Outlook, its popularity is growing daily. It has an advantage over HCL Notes, which insists many users convert Lotus Notes to Outlook PST files. Using MS Outlook is obviously easier for the user due to its better UI, as it is a product of Microsoft.
We will look at many more reasons behind the user motive of switching to Outlook from Lotus Notes. This technical guide will also touch upon the methods to make the conversion.
Reasons to migrate from Lotus Notes into Outlook: Explained
Despite having great and advanced functionality, users are now moving it to another email client such as Outlook. To know in detail, please check out the below-mentioned points:
- Outlook provides users with a best-in-class interface to make operations more straightforward. On the other hand, learning Lotus Notes is tricky and complicated for most users.
- Working on Lotus Notes with multiple profiles/accounts is possible, but this is unrestricted on Microsoft Outlook.
- Maintaining the MS Outlook email client is lower than the HCL Notes, and users can share their data with other Outlook programs.
- Managing the data and security of user data is better in Outlook compared to Lotus Notes.
- Outlook has two data files, OST and PST. OST file allows users to access the data offline, whereas Lotus Notes does not provide such a facility to their users.
- Whenever you need more clarification about the availability of the Lotus Notes email client on another system, you want to access the NSF file data. You can convert Lotus Notes to Outlook PST, as Outlook is available mainly on all Windows Operating systems.
After checking out some reasons, Lotus Notes to Outlook migration makes sense. Now we will move towards explaining to you some of the ways through which you can take your Lotus Notes data into the newly created Outlook account.
Indeed, methods to transfer user data from HCL Notes into Outlook are a complex job. However, we will also inform you about the risk involved in the manual Lotus Notes to Outlook migration, which also helps reduce the chance of error.
Manual method to move Lotus Notes NSF files into Outlook
Users can approach the manual way to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook, but it is not a one-way migration. It requires users to go for the two-phase conversion process, which we will start explaining. It is advised that before initiating step towards conversion, take a complete of your data to avoid data loss.
- Export of NSF files into CSV file
- Import of the CSV file into Outlook account
1st Phase of the Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration
It is clear that the first user needs to go exporting their NSF file to CSV; therefore follow the procedure mentioned below:
- Start the Lotus Notes application and then should open the HCL Notes.
- After launching it, make sure to click on the mailbox and then on the File tab. Now press the Export button to continue.
- Select the Comma Separated Value from the Save as file type option.
- After customizing the export process, click on the ok button to start exporting the NSF files into the CSV.
Please wait for some time as the process will take its time, and it depends upon the total size of data you need to transfer into CSV.
Last Phase of migration from the Lotus Notes platform into Microsoft Outlook
All Lotus Notes data, like contacts, attachments, emails, etc., will move into the user's Outlook account by performing this task. However, the time taken by this manual method to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook will totally depend upon the sizes of the added files for the conversion.
Let’s check out how you can import the resultant CSV file into Outlook:
- Launch the Microsoft Outlook account on your system and press the file tab.
- Now select Open & Export>> Import/Export.
- You should click on the Import from another program or file option in the next wizard. Click Next to move ahead.
- Select the CSV (Comma Separated Value) from the Import to a file wizard.
- Now, users need to upload the resultant CSV file using the browse button. After that, click Next to start importing the file.
- Choose the folder where you need to put the CSV file, and once done, hit next.
- Click on the required checkbox, and click on the Finish button to start the import procedure.
Scenarios where manual conversion fails to export NSF files into Outlook 2016, 2019?
Conversion through manual methods always comes with twists and turns. Users who are approaching this method to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook with fewer data can do it without facing any issues. But when the big organization needs to convert its data, then using the manual approach is unsuitable because you can only process one NSF file manually at a time. Ultimately, it will consume user time if they need to conduct one-by-one conversion of their files.
Moreover, when performing any flaws comes, it can also lead to data loss or file corruption. Many users might have questions regarding the alternative solution to deal with it. Yes, users can look for the third-party software Lotus Notes converter, which will overcome the drawbacks of manual conversion methodologies.
Reliable Solution to convert NSF files into Outlook PST
We have checked the manual method's limitation, which insists users look for an alternative method that helps them to switch their data from NSF into Outlook. Shoviv Lotus Notes to Outlook converter allows users to export multiple NSF files into PST files without facing any complexity.
This tool also allows adding large-sized NSF files, and without facing any issues, it converts them into PST. Users can create the resultant PST file in Unicode and ANSI file format. After adding the required files, the software also enables viewing the NSF file item under its preview pane, which assures that the required data has been added or not.
The tool also comes up with the incremental export option, which makes every interrupted process start from the point where the conversion stops. It is one of the software's advanced features, which not only helps to complete the process to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook quickly but also makes sure that no duplicate data is added to the resultant PST. Users can also limit the size of the resultant PST file by utilizing its PST split option before starting the conversion, which helps to neutralize the size of the oversized PST.
It is evident that users need to gain technical knowledge to employ manual strategies to look for conversion. However, the manual solution to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook also has many downtimes, so we will not recommend using it. Therefore, users can also use professional software to deal with the conversion efficiently.